They are found in certain regions, mostly mountainous areas or underground when mining. Cave entrances may also be found relatively commonly on the surface.
There are several types of Caves:
- Small caves are more shallow with dead ends and contain few Ores.
- Wormhole caves are circular pits that extend deep and expose the entirety of the Cave from the entrance.
- Medium caves are larger and contain more valuable Ores than those of a small Cave.
- Large caves go down very deep, often exposing very valuable Ores.
- Caves sometimes lead to Abandoned Mineshafts, Dungeons, and even Strongholds.
- Caves are the most common Generated Structures.
- Caves can have almost any type of Hostile Mob since they provide protection from the Sun.
- Caves cannot generate in Old Worlds, due to the latter's limited world size.
- When the Player explores Caves, it is a good idea to keep track of directions and use some breadcrumb indicator. An example is always placing Torches on one side of the Cave. One can also mark new Caves and/or explored Caves. Blocking off circular sub-caves can be wise.
NaturalLava Pools • Tree (Fallen) • Caves • Ice Spikes • Giant Mushrooms • Moss Stone Boulders • Mineral Vein • Ravine • Fossil
Small StructuresWitch Hut • Desert Well • Igloo • Library • Dungeon
Large StructuresAbandoned Mineshaft (Mesa) • Woodland Mansion • Temples (Jungle | Desert) • Stronghold • Ocean Monument • Village • Shipwreck
Nether StructuresNether Fortress • Glowstone Cluster
End StructuresEnd City • Chorus Tree • End Portal • End Gateway Portal