Ocelots will only spawn naturally in Jungle Biomes, but they can wander out of them which allows the Player to then find them outside of the biome.
Ocelots can be tamed by feeding them 1-12 Fish. However, unlike Wolves, the Player must wait for the Ocelot to approach them. If the Player moves too quickly towards the Ocelot, it will sprint away. It is best to sneak when approaching an Ocelot.
Types of Cats
When tamed, Ocelots become one of three different breeds of cats:
- Tabby (Orange)
- Tuxedo (Black with white)
- Siamese (White and Gray)
Creepers will run away from both Ocelots and Cats, even if provoked by the Player, making Cats a great defense against a Creeper, although a Creeper can still blow up players and nearby Ocelots within the range of its explosion.
- Ocelots were supposed to be added in Update 0.9.0, but Johan Bernhardsson stated that they would not be added as they were too buggy and Fishing was not yet developed fully.
- They are one of the four tamable Mobs, the others being Wolves, Horses and Llamas.
- Cats and Ocelots may sometimes chase and kill Chickens.
- Ocelots and Cats do not take fall damage, along with the Chicken, Snow Golem, large and medium Slime, Magma Cube and Iron Golem.
- Tamed Cats will purposely try to sit on Chests, Beds, Furnaces, etc. to simulate the behavior of real cats.
- When a Tamed Cat sits on a Chest, Bed or Furnace, the Player cannot access it unless he/she pushes it off.
- Ocelots are one of the few mobs that can sprint, the others being Baby Villagers, Baby Zombies, and Rabbits.
- Ocelots are coded as Hostile Mobs.
- This is why they can’t be found in peaceful difficulty.
- The Tuxedo variant of Cats is based on Jeb's deceased cat, Newton.
PassiveSheep • Cow • Mooshroom • Pig • Bat • Villager • Chicken • Squid • Turtle • Rabbit
HostileZombie (Zombie Villager • Husk) • Skeleton (Stray) • Creeper • Slime • Spider • Cave Spider • Guardian • Vex • Vindicator • Evoker • Ghast • Blaze • Magma Cube • Wither Skeleton • Witch • Endermite • Shulker • Silverfish
NeutralZombie Pigman • Enderman • Spider • Cave Spider • Polar Bear • Dolphin
TamableWolf • Ocelot • Horse • Llama
BossesEnder Dragon • Wither • Elder Guardian
Utility MobsIron Golem • Snow Golem
JockeysSpider Jockey • Chicken Jockey