The 5 types of pickaxes
- 2 Sticks + 3 Wooden Planks => Wooden Pickaxe
- 2 Sticks + 3 Cobblestone => Stone Pickaxe
- 2 Sticks + 3 Iron Ingots => Iron Pickaxe
- 2 Sticks + 3 Gold Ingots => Gold Pickaxe
- 2 Sticks + 3 Diamonds => Diamond Pickaxe
Pickaxes can get several Enchantments such as Unbreaking and Silk Touch. This will cost Experience, Lapis Lazuli, and sometimes Enchanted Books if the Player is using an Anvil or an Enchantment Table.
- Silk Touch allows the Player to mine an Ore without turning it into an Item.
- Efficiency allows the Player to mine faster.
- Fortune increases the drop rate of Ores.
- Unbreaking makes the durability decrease slower by 10 percent. It can be Enchanted on all Tools, Armor and weapons.
- Mending allows the player to repair it's tools when gathering XP. Allowing to keep the enchanted tool (theoretically) forever.
- Before Update 0.6.1, if a Diamond Pickaxe was used on Bedrock, the Pickaxe would break within 20 minutes, due to Bedrock being unbreakable.
- The Golden Pickaxe is the fastest when mining Stone-related and Sandstone-related items, but has only 33 uses, making it the weakest Pickaxe.
- If the Player mines a Block of a certain Ore with a lower-tier Pickaxe (e. g. mining Iron Ore with a Wooden Pickaxe), the ore will merely be destroyed.
- Iron Pickaxes are sometimes found in Village Chests.
- Golden Pickaxes are the only Pickaxes that cannot mine their corresponding Ore.
- There is an Achievement in which the Player has to craft any kind of Pickaxe, called, 'Time to Mine!'
- A successor to this Achievement is 'Getting an Upgrade’, which is obtained by crafting a better Pickaxe.
- When a Pickaxe is Enchanted with Silk Touch it cannot be Enchanted with Fortune, and vice-versa.
- Even though the Golden Picaxe is the weakest, it can get better enchantments.