Spider Jockeys have a very low chance to spawn, with every Spider having a 1% chance to be a Spider Jockey. The process can be made faster using a Monster Spawner or Spawn Eggs. There is a chance that a Spider Jockey can spawn as a Cave Spider Jockey.
Since the Spider Jockey is not actually an individual Mob, both comprising Mobs show their own unique behavior.
Spider Jockeys are best fought at range using a Bow, since it prevents the Spider from being able to use its melee attack. It is best to first kill the Skeleton, and the attack the Spider using a Sword.
- The Spider controls the Jockey's movement. Thus, it may not attack during the day.
- However, the Skeleton may still shoot the Player.
- It is possible for the Skeleton to suffocate as the Spider can go through 1 Block tall spaces but Skeletons cannot, and will take suffocation damage.
- If the Spider Jockey enters Water, then the Skeleton may jump off the Spider.
- Bedrock Exclusive: There are Cave Spider Jockeys in Minecraft.
- The Cave Spider Jockey is more dangerous, because when the Player is hit by an Arrow from the Skeleton, they may also be poisoned by the Cave Spider.
- A variant of Spider Jockeys called "Wither Jockeys" were added in Update 0.12.1. They are Spiders or Cave Spiders ridden by Wither Skeletons and have a 1% chance to spawn naturally in the Nether or by a Spider Spawn Egg.
- Bedrock Exclusive: Since Update 0.14.0, Baby Zombies can ride Spiders or Cave Spiders.
- If an Arrow from the Skeleton hits the Spider while it is riding the Spider, the Spider will stop and attack the rider.
- If the Jockey is out in the Sun, the Skeleton will burn, leaving the Spider.
PassiveSheep • Cow • Mooshroom • Pig • Bat • Villager • Chicken • Squid • Turtle • Rabbit
HostileZombie (Zombie Villager • Husk) • Skeleton (Stray) • Creeper • Slime • Spider • Cave Spider • Guardian • Vex • Vindicator • Evoker • Ghast • Blaze • Magma Cube • Wither Skeleton • Witch • Endermite • Shulker • Silverfish
NeutralZombie Pigman • Enderman • Spider • Cave Spider • Polar Bear • Dolphin
TamableWolf • Ocelot • Horse • Llama
BossesEnder Dragon • Wither • Elder Guardian
Utility MobsIron Golem • Snow Golem
JockeysSpider Jockey • Chicken Jockey