0-3 Ink Sacs
Squids can spawn at any light level. However, they can only spawn in Water below Y=64. They may on occasion spawn in Wells and other Player-made water sources.
Bedrock Exclusive: Baby Squids may also occasionally spawn.
Squids will aimlessly swim around, with an animation showing their tentacles opening and closing, to show swimming. Squids are not attracted to light, and will not interact with the Player at all.
If a Squid is outside of water for too long, it will take repeated damage and will eventually die.
When attacked, a Squid will release thick ink particles and attempt to swim away.
As they can randomly spawn in Water, farming them is just a matter of making a large body of water, most recommended a place with deep water. Depth Strider is a great Enchantment to use on Boots for Players who are trying to hunt Squid, and Potions of Water Breathing and Respiration Enchantments will also help for staying underwater longer than usual.
- Squids once were the only Mobs in Minecraft that lived in the Water.
- Squids are one of the three mobs which do not drop Experience when killed, the others being Bats and Villagers.
- Players cannot injure Squids by attacking the tentacles because the hit-box of a Squid is restricted to the main body.
- Squids are the only Mobs that do not have a unique dying animation. When they die, Squids only turn red and disappear.
- Squids, Iron Golems, Guardians and Elder Guardians are the only mobs that can survive underwater.
- Prior to Update 0.16.0, when most Mobs made sounds, Squids were the only Mob that didn't have sounds.
- Squids can breathe in a Cauldron if it is filled with Water.
- Guardians and Elder Guardians will attack any Squids that get within range of them.
PassiveSheep • Cow • Mooshroom • Pig • Bat • Villager • Chicken • Squid • Turtle • Rabbit
HostileZombie (Zombie Villager • Husk) • Skeleton (Stray) • Creeper • Slime • Spider • Cave Spider • Guardian • Vex • Vindicator • Evoker • Ghast • Blaze • Magma Cube • Wither Skeleton • Witch • Endermite • Shulker • Silverfish
NeutralZombie Pigman • Enderman • Spider • Cave Spider • Polar Bear • Dolphin
TamableWolf • Ocelot • Horse • Llama
BossesEnder Dragon • Wither • Elder Guardian
Utility MobsIron Golem • Snow Golem
JockeysSpider Jockey • Chicken Jockey