Up to 128 Strongholds can be generated in a world. Sometimes they are generated in connection with a Village well.
Almost no outward indications exists, making them hard to find. However sometimes the Player can dig around a Village Well and locate the Stronghold. It may also show up at the bottom of Deep Ocean Biomes; look for stone bricks and/or lighted areas where a wall is not fully formed. Certain texture packs may help with seeing them under the water as well.
Rarely, the Stronghold will intersect with an Abandoned Mineshaft.
Strongholds vary in size but are generally large and complex like a maze, containing multiple rooms often with walls of Iron Bars, corridors, Libraries, stairwells, fountains, dead ends, and other features. Strongholds are lit by enough Torches to provide visibility in most areas, though not enough to suppress Mobs from spawning.
It is possible to get loot from Chests present in Strongholds. They are:
|Group count: 1-4|
|Group count: 1-4|
|Group count: 2-3|
|Iron Horse Armor||1/99||1.0%||1|
|Gold Horse Armor||1/99||1.0%||1|
|Diamond Horse Armor||1/99||1.0%||1|
- Strongholds are by far the biggest Generated Structures.
- With a maxium of two Libraries per Stronghold, each with a maximum of two Chests, and up to 4 corridor Chests, the maximum number of Chests that may be found in a Stronghold is 8.
- Bug: There was an Android-exclusive bug in which Strongholds could not spawn.
- If a Player leaves a World where there was supposed to be a Stronghold, it would crash the game.
- In the Beta Version of Update 0.16.0, it was impossible to create a World with Strongholds at all, the game would crash and even deleting the World was impossible.
- Before Update 1.0, only 3 Strongholds were generated per World.
- As of Update 1.0, Strongholds generate randomly across a World, even as far as the Far Lands, instead of exclusively underneath Villages, even though that is still possible.
- Strongholds were the only Generated Structure that could be found by the
/locateCommand prior to Update 1.1.
- There is a one in one trillion chance of a Stronghold spawning with all Eyes of Enders in the End Portal Frames. 
NaturalLava Pools • Tree (Fallen) • Caves • Ice Spikes • Giant Mushrooms • Moss Stone Boulders • Mineral Vein • Ravine • Fossil
Small StructuresWitch Hut • Desert Well • Igloo • Library • Dungeon
Large StructuresAbandoned Mineshaft (Mesa) • Woodland Mansion • Temples (Jungle | Desert) • Stronghold • Ocean Monument • Village • Shipwreck
Nether StructuresNether Fortress • Glowstone Cluster
End StructuresEnd City • Chorus Tree • End Portal • End Gateway Portal